Feng shui mirror rules may motivate you to cover mirrored closet doors but knowing how to do this is often challenging. There are a few simple ways you can cover mirrored closet doors, especially in a bedroom so the end result looks attractive.
Install Door Curtains to Cover Mirrored Closet Doors
There are two ways you can install door curtains. You can use regular window curtains or sash curtains. Both will give you a desired stylish look.
Use feng shui to improve your life
Discover how feng shui in your home can improve your health, wealth and overall happiness!
Window or Door Curtains
The first is simply to install a curtain rod like you would for sliding doors. Choose a rod that goes with your other window drapery rods. You can select the same curtains or draperies use for the windows or opt for something different. The design choice is yours.
How to Use Curtained Mirrored Closet Doors
Once installed you can open the curtains/draperies during the day if you wish to continue to use the mirrors. You may prefer to use tiebacks to give a grander design statement. At night, you'll need to close the draperies to block the yang energy that the mirrors generate. Not having the yang energy blasting through your bedroom means improved sleep and a more restful night.
Choose Sash Curtain Rods and Curtains
A sash curtain for a door is another great choice for mirrored closet doors. Typically, this type of curtain is sheer fabric and often cinched in the center with a tieback, but for feng shui you'll want to choose fabric that can't be seen through in order to block the yang energy mirrors generate.
Installing a Sash Curtain Rod and Curtains
You'll need to install a sash curtain rod directly above and below the mirror. Only use this type of mirrored closet door treatment if you don't intend to continue using the mirrors for checking your dressed appearance before you start the day, or for an evening out. Even if you choose to use tiebacks during the day, this style of curtain tie backs simply gather the fabric into the center giving the curtain an X shape. You'll need to remove the tieback at night when you go to sleep.
Mini-Blinds or Roman Shades
You can add inexpensive door mini blinds just above the top of the mirror and secure with bottom stabilizing mounts provided in the hardware kit. Another look you may prefer is Roman shades. These are also installed slightly above the mirror, the same way you would glass door inserts.
Add-On Blinds for Flush Frame Doors
Another more sophisticated look can be achieved when you use an add-on type of blind that fits over the mirror. This is used the same way it would be used for a flush door frame with glass. While this type of blind design is more expensive that regular blinds, the glass encased blinds give a unique upscale look. This design will give the illusion of exterior doors, which may be desirable in some rooms.
Feng Shui and Add-On Blinds Unit
You never have to worry about the blinds in this unit ever collecting dust (sha chi). All you have to do is keep the glass clean. When you wish to use the mirror, simply raise the blinds inside the glass encasement.
Supplies and Tools Needed
There are a few tools you'll need for an easy and fast installation. These tools are in addition to the hardware and drill bit included in some kits.
- Tape measure
- Pen or pencil
- Screw driver
- Enclosed hardware kit
- Safety glasses
- Glass cleaner
- Roll of paper towels
- Rubbing alcohol
- Two cotton swabs
Preparation to Install Add-On Glass Frame
The add-on vertical blinds encased in glass frames are easy to install. Most manufacturers provide an installation guide or offer YouTube tutorials.
- Measure and then mark the center of the mirror just above the mirror (allow about 1/8" or less above the mirror).
- Measure the bracket and mark the center with the marker
- Line up the bracket center line and the center line above the mirror.
- Use the level to ensure bracket is level. Mark the two ends of the bracket onto the wall.
- Set the bracket onto the three lines.
- Use the pen or pencil to mark the holes in the bracket. Set bracket aside.
- The hardware kit includes a drill bit.
- Set the drill bit into your drill.
- Don the safety glasses.
- Drill the marked holes.
Ready to Install Add-On Frame
Once you've completed the prep work, it's time to set the frame onto the brackets. You may need someone to help you with this part of the installation, depending on the mirror size.
- Place the bracket above the mirror and align with the drill holes.
- Screw the bracket into place over the top of the mirror.
- Clean the mirror using the glass cleaner and paper towels. Make sure it's dry.
- Clean the back glass of the blinds frame.
- Go by the manufacturer's instructions. Some blinds require you to remove a tab that releases the blind so you can operate the blinds.
- Tilt the unit so you can line up the frame with the bracket tabs.
- Once aligned, lower the blinds frame to the closet door.
- Make sure the top tabs snap into place on the bracket.
- Moisten a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol.
- Run the alcohol swab along the lower left and lower right sides of the mirror frame to ensure no dust is there.
- Allow the mirror door to dry then remove the peel-away strips on each lower side of the unit (some models may have hidden screws or brackets.)
- The peel-away strips reveal a sticky surface where you'll secure the bottom sides of the frame securely.
Different Types of Shades
Other types of shades can be used on your mirrored closet doors, such as Roman shades or up and down shades. You will install these the same way you would a glass door. Roman shades will give your bedroom a very tailored and chic look. Up and down shades are very easy to raise and lower. Both styles can provide you with covered mirrored closet doors that can still be used when you need a full-length mirror.
Treatments to Alter Mirrored Closet Doors
There are several different treatments you can use to completely alter mirrored closet doors that will render the mirrors unavailable for use. If this is your intention, then one of these methods will be a good choice.
Vinyl Window Film
Vinyl window film is the most forgiving method to cover mirrored closet doors. This type of window film isn't permanent. It is very easy and doesn't make a mess. Tools you'll need include:
- Scissors or utility knife
- Pen or pencil
- Straight edge or ruler
- Spray bottle
- Water with several drops dish detergent
- Glass cleaner
- Paper towels
- Dry clean cloth
Prep for Vinyl Window Film
Most window film tutorials are for windows, but you can use the same instructions to cover mirrored closet doors. Just select the window film design you wish to use, keeping in mind various feng shui rules about shapes and the feng shui color palette you used in your room design.
- Clean mirrors with glass cleaner and paper towel and/or squeegee.
- Make sure widows are dry.
- Measure the mirror so you know the size of the film needed to completely cover the closet door mirror.
- Cut the film with scissors or box cutter utility knife. Most films have a graph backing so you can easily cut along the graph lines with scissors.
- If your window film doesn't have a graph back with measurements, you can mark the width and length on the front of the design, use the ruler or straight edge to cut with the utility knife.
How to Cover Mirrored Closet Doors with Vinyl Window Film
The hard work is completed. Applying the film over the closet mirrors is fast, easy and simple to do.
- Fill the spray bottle with water. If desired, you can add a few drops of dish detergent to encourage the film to stick better.
- Spray the water/dish detergent mixture over the top part of the mirror.
- If the window film has a back, you can pull the backing halfway down and line the top of the paper to the top of the mirror.
- Smooth the film against the mirror and work your way down the length of the strip of window film, until it is snuggly against the window.
- This method is very forgiving, should you need to adjust the film before moving to the next length of window film.
- Repeat the process until the mirror is completely covered.
- Spray the water solution onto the film you placed on the mirror.
- Use the squeegee to removed trapped air bubbles by working from the center toward the outer edges.
- You can trim the edge using the box cutter and straight edge should you have any uneven or overlapping areas.
- Finish by running a dry piece of paper towel over the film.
What to Do If Window Film Comes Loose
Your window film should stay in place for years. If it begins to peel away from the corners, simply spray the mirror with another water and dish washing soap mixture and press the film back in place, smoothing out air pockets with a squeegee.
Another choice for covering mirrored closets is to use removable wallpaper or grasscloth. Removable wallpaper and grasscloth are applied similarly to window film. Like window film these products are forgiving and can be repositioned and adjusted as needed.
You can attach plywood panels over the mirrors. Measure the mirrors and add a small fraction to each measurement to provide a slight overlap. Cut the panels to size and attached to the door with screws and paint. Use a primer and then paint the inserts to match your bedroom walls.
Other Ways to Decorate Wood Panels
If you're artistic, you may prefer recreating a scene from a Chinese folding screen or stenciling. There are many ways you can add a touch of art to wood inserts. You can use pasted wallpaper to cover the sheets of plywood or you may prefer to glue fabric to the plywood inserts.
Use Glass Paint Directly on Mirrors
You can easily use glass paint to freehand a design or use a stencil to cover the mirrors in your closet door. You can paint the mirrors a pleasing background color and then stencil or paint your design once the base paint is dry.
Exploring How to Cover Mirrored Closet Doors
In feng shui, bedroom closet door mirrors generate too much yang energy for a restful sleep. There are many creative ways you can cover mirrored closet doors whether they are in a bedroom or other room in your home that are inexpensive and easy to do.