It's vital to properly apply feng shui to your foyer so you invite auspicious chi energy to enter your home. Using basic feng shui principles can help you accomplish this goal as well as provide you with great design ideas for colors, furniture placement, and more.
Practical Entryway Guidelines
Good front door feng shui efforts should be supported by good feng shui foyer designs. Just as it's important the exterior of the foyer entrance is clutter-free, so should the foyer inside be open and free of clutter. This includes discarded shoes, coats, backpacks, purses, and any other objects/items that typically are unloaded when entering your home.
Organize for a Clutter-Free Foyer
Provide a place to hang coats, such as a hall closet, and see that each family member puts their things away when they enter.
- Never allow shoes to be placed at the door or near the door. This is considered inauspicious and is viewed as clutter. Place shoes inside a closet or armoire, console table, or another closed cabinet.
- Place keys, purse, or other smaller items inside a console table. For example, have a drawer for keys and a lower cabinet for purses and backpacks.
- Free any pathways in and out of the foyer. You want the chi entering your home to flow freely deeper into your home, spreading its auspicious energy.
Use Appropriate Sector Colors
Each compass direction (sector) has assigned colors. Take advantage of these wonderful symbols of the energies governed by the foyer sector.
Each sector represents a specific area in life, such as career (north), fame/recognition (south), wealth (southeast), and so on. Ascertain the sector of your foyer and activate these energies with the assigned element. For example, if the foyer is in the southwest sector (love, romance), then you can use the governing element of earth in the form of pottery, ceramics, and crystals.
Lighting for Feng Shui Foyer
Light plays an important role in feng shui in activating auspicious chi energy. A crystal chandelier is ideal for a foyer. Bright light can counter afflicted sectors. Since the foyer is the main entryway for chi energy, provide good lighting options such as, table lamps on a console table, floor lamp in a dark corner, wall sconces, and recessed lighting on a dimmer switch.
Furniture and Elements
The type of furniture you select for the foyer should be relevant to the sector's governing element. For example, an east sector (wood element) foyer can be activated by add wood furniture. A west or northwest sector foyer is governed by metal, so you could introduce a few metal pieces of furniture to activate this element.
Rugs for Foyers
The type of material, color, and design you select for a foyer rug is important.
- Identify the color(s) for this sector and repeat them in the rug.
- Choose a pattern that reflects the sector element, such as circles for water (north sector) or triangles for fire (south sector).
- The rug material can also further enhance the sector element. A prime example is using a sisal rug in a southeast (wood element) foyer or cotton fiber rug (plant material) for east or southeast sectors (both governed by wood element). In a productive cycle, either of these rugs would enhance a south sector (fire) foyer since the wood element feeds the fire element.
Accessories for Foyers
In feng shui, you can choose accessories for furniture and the walls by focusing on the sector element. For example, you may decide to use a round mirror to represent the water element in a north sector foyer.
- Follow feng shui rules and don't place the mirror directly opposite the front door since this placement would bounce all chi energy right back out the door before it ever reached inside your home.
- Select a pair of bronze statues to grace a foyer console table for a west or northwest sector foyer or a north sector since in the productive cycle metal attracts water.
- Feature a tabletop water fountain with the water flowing into the home (never out) for a southeast sector (wood element) foyer (water nourishes wood). A water feature in a north sector foyer will activate the water element.
- Metal (southwest, west or north sectors), ceramic (northeast or southwest sectors), or wood (east, southeast or south sectors) photo/picture frames are great element accessories you can add to the foyer. Hang on the wall or arrange in a grouping on a console table.
- Wall art in metal, wood, or ceramic can also be used to decorate a foyer while also activating elements in the appropriate sectors.
- Plants are also great additions to a foyer in an east, southeast, or south sector.
Good Foyer Feng Shui Design
When you follow feng shui principles to design a foyer, you ensure auspicious chi energy will travel unencumbered from the outside to the inside of your home. This free-flowing chi energy will accumulate and then disperse to the other rooms in your home to nourish each sector.