The staircase plays a vital role in feng shui since it moves chi energy to different levels of the home. Inauspicious staircases disrupt the balance and harmony of chi energy and affects areas of your life.
Feng Shui Staircase Problems
Many staircase designs and placements are inauspicious and should be avoided.
Located Opposite Front Door
The most common feng shui problem is a staircase that is directly opposite the front door. Chi energy enters the home and rushes up the staircase, bypassing the rest of the house. Auspicious chi doesn't flow through the lower floor sectors, creating imbalance.
Remedy with a crystal chandelier or multi-faceted crystal suspended between the door and staircase to slow and disperse the chi.
Center of Home
A staircase in the center of the home will siphon all the chi out of the home. It's better to leave the center area open or place the dining room there.
The corkscrew shape of a spiral staircase creates a whirlpool effect that drains chi energy. It is especially inauspicious when placed in the center of the home.
Open risers create a sieve effect. The chi energy can never make it to the other level(s) and the family's wealth is quickly drained. Remedy by closing the space between the risers.
In feng shui, a split staircase featuring a two flights of stairs, one up and one down catches chi energy in a flux of chaotic movement, unsure if it should go up or down.
Bathrooms and Staircases
It is ill-advised to have a bathroom at the top of the staircase. The chi energy rushes right into the bathroom. A half bath under the staircase is very inauspicious. In feng shui, water under the stairs negatively impacts the second generation's success. Create a cleaning supply storage closet here.
Floor Cutout Staircase
A staircase leading to a lower level through a floor cutout is very inauspicious. This creates a hole in the room and the chi energy literally falls out of the room into the hole. Remedy by walling up the staircase area with a door that can be closed.
Sectors to Avoid
There are three sectors that are best to avoid placing a staircase.
- East: This is your health sector. A staircase can make your health go up and down.
- Southeast: This is your wealth sector. A staircase creates too much up and down movement of chi energy that can introduce volatility to financial concerns.
- Southwest: This is your love sector. A staircase will make your love life confusing, not knowing whether it is up or down.
Best Staircase Designs
The best feng shui staircase design has simple rules. These include:
- The best staircase design is wide enough for two people to pass each other going up and down.
- The staircase should have a gentle curve to the top floor. This allows the chi to slowly and naturally make its way to the upper level, maintaining balance and harmony.
- Make sure the staircase is well lit to guide the chi energy to the upper level.
- The space between risers should be solid to support chi energy.
- The best location for a staircase is along an outer wall.
- Locate stairs in a house sector where inauspicious flying stars are located to suppress these bad luck star(s).
- If carpeting stairs, avoid red carpeting since it attracts misfortune. The color is associated with the fire element, bringing an unsettling, fiery energy rushing up the stairs.
Stairs and Elements
Since staircases occupy a sizeable amount of space, you can use them to activate a sector through the use of elements.
Wood staircase are ideal for the east, southeast and south sectors. Avoid metal railings on a wood staircase. Metal cut into wood and destroys (destructive cycle) it.
This element for a staircase can be placed in the west and northwest. In the productive cycle, metal attracts water, which is the element governing the north.
Concrete, Stone or Marble
The earth element is ideal for the northeast and southwest. In the productive cycle, the earth element creates metal. Use this element for stairs in the west and northwest sectors.
Avoid using this element in the north sector since earth destroys the water element (destructive cycle). Avoid using wood railings since wood destroys earth in the destructive cycle.
Add Touches of Art
Enhance auspicious feng shui on the stair walls with art and photos that repeat the colors assigned to that sector. Feng shui guru Lillian Too advises to add a picture or two of a feng shui good luck symbol on the staircase landing.
Stairs for Auspicious Feng Shui
Auspicious staircases assist the chi energy to flow through your home. Stairs built according to feng shui principles and rules ensure your home and family will live in harmony.