Feng shui uses a wide range of lucky symbols to entice chi energy into your home. Lucky bamboo is one of the most popular choices. Not only is the plant beautiful and easy to grow, it also symbolizes good fortune. Use these arrangements in the wealth sector of your home or office.
What Is Lucky Bamboo?
Known as Lucky Bamboo for centuries, this tough resilient plant is actually Dracaena Sanderiana, a member of the lily family. A tropical plant, it is native to the rain forests of Cameroon, Africa, and Southeast Asia.
Care for Bamboo
The popularity of Lucky Bamboo has continued to grow over the past several decades, making it one of the most popular house plants of the time. These easy-to-grow plants require very little care and generally are grown using hydroponics methods. To care for Lucky Bamboo you will need to place it in a location with indirect light, use small stones or pebbles instead of soil, and feed it with a solution of diluted plant food.
Curly Lucky Bamboo Stalks
Lucky Bamboo stalks are naturally straight stalks, but can be trained to grow in curls, spirals or waves. Growers use special techniques to train straight stalks to grow into various exotic and intricate patterns, such as the popular trellis design. You need to be careful in choosing the location for your plant to ensure it doesn't receive direct sunlight. The plant will grow toward the sunlight when placed in direct light and this can cause intricate designs to grow away from their set patterns.
You will pay more for exotic patterns created with Lucky Bamboo than straight stalks. It requires a great deal of time and care to train plants to grow into these unique designs. The good news is that these fancy arrangements don't require extra care. The main requirement is indirect sunlight and water; the same as straight stalk plant.
Lucky Bamboo and Feng Shui
One of the most popular feng shui cures, Lucky Bamboo activates stagnant energy and enhances the flow of positive energy, or auspicious chi, throughout your home or workplace. It is important to take proper care of your Lucky Bamboo to ensure its health and vitality. A strong symbol of good luck, Lucky Bamboo signifies good fortune, health and prosperity. Used in feng shui, a plant usually has a combination of all the five elements, which are represented by:
- Wood: Bamboo plant
- Earth: Stones or pebbles
- Metal: Container itself (if made of glass is considered metal element), or you can attach small a metal figure or coin to container
- Water: Grow medium
- Fire: Red ribbon tied around bamboo stalks or container
Where to Find Lucky Bamboo Plants
There are many places to purchase Lucky Bamboo plants.You may be able to find some local outlets such as florists, nurseries, flea markets, and big box stores. These venues may be rather limited in selections, so you may prefer to shop online. These specialty stores often offer a wider selection of a variety of Lucky Bamboo plants:
- Eastern Leaf: This California based company has an online shop for Lucky Bamboo arrangements and individual stalks, with the necessary supplies should you wish to create your own arrangement. Items are reasonably priced.
- Nature Perfect: This retailer specializes in "wedding favors and corporate gifts." You can choose from several Lucky Bamboo arrangements designed for these special events.
- Lucky Bamboo Shop: Purchase single stalks or exotic heart and classic trellis Lucky Bamboo designs here. They also offer a wholesaler section, wedding favors, and corporate designs.
- Asian Ideas: Asian Ideas sells reasonably priced arrangements, individual stalks, and supplies.
- Buy Lucky Bamboo: Find exotic arrangements at this resource, as well as individual stalks, accessories, and supplies.
The Meaning of the Number of Stalks
You can use lucky bamboo to address specific areas in your life that you wish to enhance with good fortune. For example, the number of stalks in an arrangement of lucky bamboo has a specific meaning assigned to them. These include such things as ensuring a happy marriage, success in academic studies, promotion in career, and so on.
The Gift of a Lucky Bamboo Plant
Lucky Bamboo is a symbol of good fortune. Traditionally, these plants are given as gifts to bestow good fortune on various life events such as weddings, births, anniversaries, and birthdays. These plants also make wonderful housewarming gifts that convey your good wishes for a happy home.