Feng shui bed placement is important for healthy chi in the bedroom. Making the right feng shui bed position choice will ensure you are sleeping peacefully in your bed. The average person spends many hours in the bedroom, sleeping only accounts for six to eight of those hours. Your bedroom should be a sanctuary from the world especially when you're asleep. This is the time when you're most vulnerable, so make sure your bed placement minimizes this vulnerability.
Ideal Feng Shui Bed Placement
Since sleep is vital to good health, your bed direction is paramount to achieving optimum sleep. Chi energy enters and leaves a room through windows and doors. You want to stay out of this pathway when you sleep. You especially don't want your bed facing the door. Another consideration is logical since you're vulnerable when you're asleep. You can minimize vulnerability with good feng shui bed placement. Your bedroom should offer you protection and safety. You should be able to rest without fear and worry of interruptions and noise. To accomplish this, you need to place your bed in the optimum position.
Auspicious Bed Position
You want to use auspicious bed placements. The following bed placements are ideal.
- Place the bed away from the entry door. This prevents chi energy from rushing over you while you sleep.
- Put your bed against a solid wall for the best placement. This will provide strong, sturdy support and prevent any sense of movement behind you.
- Situate your bed on the wall that is diagonally across from the entrance. This allows you to see anyone who enters your bedroom.
- Work with limitations. If the only place available for your bed is on the same wall as the door, then place it as far away from the door as possible. This keeps chi interruption to a minimum.
Inauspicious Bed Placement and Solutions
As in all things feng shui, the reason behind placing a bed in a certain area is made from a logical point of view, instead of something magical or superstitious. If the layout of your room doesn't allow for the best placement of your bed, there are some solutions known as feng shui cures that can remedy most problems.
Bed Facing the Door
Don't place your bed opposite of the door. This position is called the coffin or dead man position because when you lie down, your feet or head are facing the door. This is symbolic of how the dead are carried from the house through open doors. Don't assume this corpse position at all costs.
Solution for Bed Directly Opposite Door
If you have no choice and must place your bed directly opposite the door, then consider using a screen or room divider to create a false wall. While this is a drastic solution, it's better than having sleepless nights. You can place the screen at the foot of the bed to block the door and redirect the chi energy into the room. Just be sure to place a mirror on the side wall across from you so you can see anyone entering your bedroom.
Bed in Front of a Window
Don't situate the bed directly under a window. The chi entering through the window will disrupt sleep. Likewise, don't block a window with your bed in front of it.
Solution for Window and Bed
If you have no other choice but to place your bed in front of a window, then choose a high bed with a solid headboard that lends the support of a wall. Also, leave enough space so you can walk between the headboard and the window. If you can walk easily around it, then the chi energy can move around it.
Bed Underneath Beams
Don't lie underneath a beam. This can cause illness because the beam is cutting across your body.
Solution for Bed Under Beams
If you have no choice and must place your bed underneath a beam or set of beams, then suspend two flutes with red ribbons angled so the open ends are pointed up. This will break the cutting effect of the beam and allow the chi to flow into the flutes and then up and away from you.
Bed and Bathroom Door
Don't face a bathroom door. If you have no choice, keep the bathroom door closed at all times.
Bathroom Door and Bed Placement Solution
If you must place the bed across from the bathroom door, hang a mirror on the inside of the door facing the bathroom. This reflects any negative energy back into the bathroom. Keep the door closed at all times.
Bed Placement and Blind Spots
Don't set your bed so the door opens right into it and you're looking through the open doorway when you're in bed.
Feng Shui Remedies for Blind Spots
You need to be able to see who enters the room from your bed. If you can't, then place a mirror on the opposite wall so it reflects the door. A mirror placed directly across a door bounce any beneficial energy right out of the bedroom. Be careful when hanging a mirror so it doesn't reflect the bed. You'll need to test the position by lying on the bed before hanging the mirror.
Catty Corner Bed
Don't angle your bed from a corner. This creates sha chi (bad chi) because you have just created poison arrows by creating sharp angles.
Other Dont's for Bed Feng Shui Placement With Solutions
Ideally, you should avoid or remedy the following placements, as well.
- Don't hang a mirror on the opposite wall reflecting the bed. It's believed that the soul leaves the body during sleep and upon rising might see its reflection with unsettling results. You can resolve this placement by removing any mirror facing the bed.
- Don't place the mattress on the floor. Always use a bed frame.
- Don't place the bed beneath a bathroom, especially the toilet. If your bedroom is underneath an upstairs bathroom, try to minimize use of that bathroom and make sure the bed placement is in a part of the room that is not under the toilet.
- Don't set your bed above the kitchen. If you have no choice, make sure your bed is not located over the stove.
- Don't situate your bed opposite open shelving. These are poison arrows. If you have open shelving you may wish to replace with an armoire or cabinet. You could also add doors and transform it into a bookcase or cabinet.
Planning a Feng Shui Bedroom and the Bed's Direction
To discover other poor feng shui choices for your bed placement, draw a layout of your home. Note which rooms share your bedroom walls. Be mindful of the functions taking place on the other side of the wall. For example, if there is a toilet on the other side of the wall you shouldn't place your bed against it.
Bed Placement Can Ensure Restful Sleep
Take time to work with your bedroom furniture placement to provide the optimum feng shui bed positioning. This is one of the most important rooms in your home and following feng shui principles can mean the difference between a restful night and a fitful sleep.