The number one tip most feng shui practitioners share is to declutter. Beyond clutter busting, however, there are many simple steps you can take to improve your house's energy flow. Consider these feng shui tips to improve the flow of chi energy and increase your luck in the spaces you live, work, and play.
Fix Broken Items for Auspicious Feng Shui
The next step after you have gotten rid of the clutter is to repair or replace anything that is broken. It's easy to take this step beyond clutter if you make a checklist of items in need of repair.
Many things in the bathroom can create an energy drain and steal your money as surely as you flushed it down the toilet.
- Repair dripping faucets - Leaking water means a slow but steady drain of your funds.
- Leaky toilet seal - Replace the broken seal
- Tank stopper - You don't want your toilet to be running all the time. Replace with a tank stopper kit.
- Always keep the toilet lid closed - An open lid means energy rushes from your home like a vacuum cleaner sucking up your resources and finances.
- Replace depleted toilet paper and tissue boxes.
- Replenish soap bars.
Many of your appliances can create chi energy drains, too. Move beyond clutter by going through your kitchen and take inventory of broken, damaged, and partially functioning appliances.
- Repair a broken ice maker.
- Garbage disposals should work. Either repair, replace, or remove.
- Replace microwave ovens that only partially work.
- Repair cooking range burners that no longer work.
- Clean the oven regularly.
- Throw away cracked or chipped china - Not only is it unattractive, bacteria can accumulate in the chipped away area or cracks.
- Keep knives sharpened
- Refill empty paper towel holders.
- Replace missing utensils and silverware.
- Repair or replace broken coffeemakers.
Complete Maintenance Tasks Right Away
Always stay up to date on home maintenance tasks for optimal feng shui.
- Replace burned out light bulbs
- Unclog stopped up or slow drains - Clogged sinks, shower, bathtub drains can stop the flow of chi and your finances.
- Replace broken windows.
- Fix squeaky doors.
- Tighten loose doorknobs.
- Make sure entryways and exits to your home are well-lit.
- Don't allow ice and snow to block the walkway and entranceways to your home.
- Regularly paint exterior and interior of home.
Follow Some Basic Cleaning Guidelines
Maintaining your cleaning supplies in a tidy way can also help improve your home's energy flow.
- Throw away full vacuum bags and replace with new one.
- Don't leave brooms or mops leaning against doors. Place them inside a closet out of the way. A broom or mop creates sweeping away energy. You want good energy to enter your home and through your doorways, not to be swept away.
- Don't leave shoes at the front door - If you ask people to remove their shoes when they enter, then provide a place inside a closet to store the shoes. By leaving shoes at the front or even back door, you are allowing the energy and even shoe odor to travel with the entering chi throughout your home.
- Clean wall plates and fingerprints from doors and walls.
- Get draperies dry-cleaned regularly. Make sure they are properly installed. If using rings with hooks keep threaded for a neat look.
- Keep windows and mirrors clean.
- Empty trash cans right away and keep trash areas clean.
Remove Other Forms of Clutter
You may not be aware that your choice of colors, patterns and designs can create a feeling of clutter. Go through your home room by room and see if the walls, floors, furniture, draperies and accessories go together. This will help you move beyond clutter.
- Replace hodge-podge and mismatched pieces of furniture with new ones or have the pieces of furniture recovered - If working with a tight budget buy slipcovers.
- Replace pillows with matching ones or sew new pillow slips.
- Remove old wallpaper and paint walls to blend with room's décor.
Organize Your Home
Another way to ensure you take your feng shui techniques further, clean out drawers, storage spaces, garages, and cabinets and organize them for easy access.
- Drawer dividers - Organizing helpers to keep utensils sorted.
- Baskets - Great organizing tools for shelves, closets and bathrooms.
- Storage - Purchase nice plastic tubs for long-term storage.
- Closet systems - Cramped and disorganized closets created stagnant chi
Improve Personal Feng Shui
Personal items and hygiene can improve feng shui as well.
- Cull clothes
- Donate those that no longer fit
- Repair any ripped seams
- Replace broken zippers
- Repair torn hems
- Replace missing buttons
- Wash sneakers
- Replace worn shoes laces
- Repair worn soles
- Get rid of uncomfortable shoes
- Throw away old makeup and replace with new
- Replace toothbrushes regularly
- Clean and wash hairbrushes weekly
- Organize cosmetics
Take Simple Logical Steps for Better Feng Shui
It's simple to move beyond clutter with the logical steps and suggestions.