When sound vibrations travel through air, water or any other type of matter, they produce sound waves. This resulting effect is the formation of an energy known as sound energy. The transmission of these vibrations produces a physical and mechanical energy that occurs at various degrees of pitch and intensity. In addition to being heard and felt, sound vibrations directly affect the balance of energy within your living space, mind and body.
Healing with Sound Energy
Healing with sound energy is often referred to as sound energy therapy, vibrational therapy or energy medicine. The practice of this type of healing dates back to ancient times and is used to bring your physical body into alignment and balance through your chakras, or energy centers. This type of therapy has many positive effects and benefits on the body and mind including an overall feeling of better health, a reduction in stress and reduced feelings of depression.
There are instances when only one type of medium, such as a Tibetan singing bowl, is used to produce the energy vibrations. In other instances, a medium may be combined with meditation or more than one medium may be used.
Several examples of various types of mediums used in sound energy and the healing effects they have on the body and mind include:
- Tibetan singing bowls: Restores balance to the body, induces an altered state consciousness and creates a deep sense of inner peace, well-being and tranquility
- Wind chimes, Gongs and Bells: Fosters feelings of peacefulness and inner balance, helps regulate blood pressure, stimulates new energy and provides increased vitality
- Tuning forks: Aids in improving memory and clarity of thought, relieves everyday stress and aids in pain management
- The sounds of nature, Meditation or New Age music: Aids in achieving a restful sound sleep, helps to regulate blood pressure and reduces stress
- Drums: Helps focus the mind on achieving a particular goal and enhances productivity, creates a deep feeling of emotional well-being and improves focus
Power of Nature Sounds
The sounds of nature consist of two basic groups. The first is the sound of natural phenomena such as ocean waves crashing onto the shore, gentle rain falling in a forest or the wind rushing through the trees. The second is the sounds made by animals, such as the purring of a cat, the chirping of a cricket or a bird's melodious song.
Depending on the person and their individual circumstances, the sounds of nature have the ability to provide many of the positive effects and benefits sought with sound healing. Spending time in nature and listening to the natural sounds of the environment generally reduces stress and produces a feeling of great calmness. Listening to the relaxing sounds of nature music usually has the same effect.
Sound Energy and Feng Shui
Practitioners of feng shui use sound energy as remedies and cures, to attract auspicious chi and to remove stagnant chi. Sound energy can be used in your home, outdoor areas or work space.
Sound Energy as Remedies and Cures
Using sound energy as a cure or remedy in feng shui means you are using it to make a correction to the energy that exists in a space or area. When you apply the cure or remedy, sometimes called an adjustment, you shift the energy, bringing it into the correct balance.
The following are examples of popular items and methods used for applications of feng shui cures using sound energy to remove negative chi and attract positive energy into your space.
- Bells or Gongs: One method for curing stagnant energy is to place a bell on a table or desk and ring it with the intention of removing the negative energy and attracting positive chi into the space. You could also use a gong in the same manner.
- Wind chimes: Attract positive chi into your space by placing a wind chime at the outside entrance of your home or garden.
- Water fountains: Reduce stress and quickly bring a feeling of tranquility into a room by introducing a water fountain to the space. Be careful not to place a water feature in bedrooms or the South sector of your home. Check your flying star chart before introducing this or any other element into a particular sector. You can place a water feature outside your home in the North sector as well as the Southeast. Water spouting into the air is a great cure for poison arrows.
- Crystal singing bowls: If you move into a new home that has negative energy left behind by former tenants or owners, use sound energy to clear the space. First, you must clear the negative energy by clapping your hands or beating on a drum. You need to do this with the intention of removing the negative chi that has been left behind. Next, with deliberate intention invite positive chi into your home by using pleasing sounds, These can be produced by a singing bowl, wind chime, bell, gong or any soothing uplifting music. During the space clearing, you may choose to also use pleasing scents through the burning of incense or scented candles.
- Soft, gentle uplifting music: Play relaxing music with the sounds of nature to fill your home with positive uplifting energy.
The Importance of Intention
When using sound energy in a feng shui cure it is important to set and hold your intention. This can be accomplished by relaxing and clearing your mind, and then visualizing your intent or what it is that you want to accomplish. Let yourself feel that it is already accomplished. You will then seal your intention by firmly expecting the desired results.