An auspicious office layout using feng shui principles can boost your career and aid you in achieving professional goals. The most important aspect of any office layout is the desk.
Executive Office Layout
The office layout can be printed using Adobe Reader. In the diagram below, lamps/lighting are indicated by a circle with an x and plant positions are indicated as empty circles. The black items represent personal working space, while blue items are in the conference areas.
In this executive office layout, the desk is placed on the east wall, facing the door with a solid wall behind it for support of work and career. A desk should never be placed in front of a window, since it can't provide the support that only a solid wall can. Additional items in the office include:
- Credenza - A low credenza behind the desk with table lamps on each end and potted plants with round or oval leaves will activate the east sector wood element. The east sector governs all forms of health, such as physical, financial, career, and health of other sectors.
- Lighting - Lights placed at entrance, desk, credenza, conference table and bookcase will define space and activate auspicious elements. Use metal floor lamps at entrance to activate west sector element (metal).
- Conference area - The conference table and chairs are placed to the left of the entrance in the northwest corner - the helpful people or mentor luck sector.
- Large bookcase - A bookcase on the north wall provides an excellent place for an aquarium or desktop water fountain to activate your career sector. Make sure the water flows in the direction of the desk.
On the west wall, you may want to display photos of mentors or keepsakes of past assistance or add a small bookcase to hold authoritative books in your career field.
Small Office Layout
A feng shui layout for a smaller office is based on the same principle of command position for the desk. In this layout, the desk is placed on the south wall directly opposite the door. Other key items include:
- Credenza - A low credenza with a table lamp is placed behind the desk with plants on either side, which benefits the south fire sector.
- Chair - A chair is set across from the desk, carefully positioned so that the chi pathway to the desk isn't blocked.
- Lights -Lights are placed on either side of the door to define the entrance of the office.
The south wall is the sector of fame and recognition where diplomas, licenses, awards and photos of career successes should be displayed. The north sector is governed by water, so this is an excellent place for either a small aquarium or water fountain.
Keep Your Office Neat and Clutter Free
The proper layout of a feng shui office can activate your career luck and give you the kind of chi support desired in a career. However, it won't matter how auspicious your office is if it is cluttered. A clutter free work space allows chi energy to flow throughout your office for optimum career benefit.