Feng shui kitchens are vital to a home's overall feng shui health. Feng shui principles dictate that your kitchen is the heart of your home. The Chinese placed the kitchens in the east or south sectors of their homes to promote the kitchen's fire elements. Location is everything when it comes to your kitchen. The feng shui rule of thumb is for it to be located within the inauspicious direction specific to the main breadwinner's Kua number.
Kitchen Location According to Breadwinner's Kua Number
A kua number is calculated by using a formula that uses your birthday and gender.
Find Kua Number for Kitchen Location
Simply add the last two digits of your birth year. If the result is double digit, then continue to add down until you reach a single digit. If you're female, add 5 to your result and again, reduce to a single digit by adding the numbers together. If you're male, subtract the single digit number from 10. This number will help you find the best directions for sleeping, sitting, eating, working and so on.
East and West Kua Numbers
Kua numbers are broken into two groups, East and West. There are specific auspicious and inauspicious directions for each group. If your family's biggest income producer falls into this group then your kitchen should be located in the opposite Kua number group directions. That's because these directions are considered inauspicious and the kitchen will serve to neutralize those energies. Below are charts for each group and its kua numbers. The best direction for your kitchen is given; however, you can also use any of the group directions and still have a good kitchen location.
For example, if your kua number belongs to the East Group, you can place your kitchen in any of the West Group directions and vice versa.
Important Considerations for Feng Shui Kitchens
There are several key feng shui elements to which you need to pay close attention when working with your kitchen layout. Placement of your appliances needs to follow feng shui principles of fire versus water and hot versus cold. The placement of your appliances is sometimes more important than the actual direction your kitchen faces, because incorrect appliance placement can create inauspicious elements and negative chi.
Range and Oven
The range and oven mouths should face either Northeast, Southwest or South. The mouth is defined as the area where the energy enters the appliance. This means any gas lines, oil lines or electrical lines and outlets.
Kitchen ovens and ranges are considered fire elements so you don't want them beside sinks, dishwashers or refrigerators. The water and cold elements conflicts with the fire and create inauspicious elements.
You want to consider your health sector when designing your kitchen. This can impact your overall chi and is sometimes more important than direction. This is especially true when making your oven and range placement decisions.
|Kua Number||Group||Health Sector|
|5||West||Northeast (female), Southwest (male)|
It's very important that the doors in the kitchen don't lead directly into the front or back doors. This kind of alignment means the chi energy rushes through the kitchen and out of the house. When this kind of placement occurs, it creates unbalanced chi that brings illnesses and misfortunes to those in the home.
Tips for Increasing Auspicious Elements
There are a few things you can do to help boost the auspicious elements of your kitchen chi.
- Mirrors: Hang a mirror so the burners appear to be twice as many to increase finances.
- Copper pots and pans attract positive chi.
- Potted plant or herbs along the South and East walls brings prosperity.
Placement Is Everything
There are certain things you should avoid when building or renovating your kitchen.
- Don't locate the kitchen in the front of your home or facing the front door. This kills any positive chi attempting to enter your house.
- Don't place the kitchen facing a bedroom. The chi energy of the kitchen is yang and conflicts with the yin energy of the bedroom. This kind of configuration results in family members constantly being sick.
- Don't place the sink beside the range or oven. This water element extinguishes the beneficial fire energy.
- Don't place the refrigerator beside the oven or range, because it has the same effect as the sink.
- Don't locate the oven or range in the Northwest sector known as "Heaven's Gate." Good luck energy resides in the Northwest direction and is the last place you want to set on fire.
- Don't locate your kitchen in the center of your home.
- Keep pantry doors closed at all times.
- Don't place your kitchen below an upstairs bathroom or facing a toilet. Water and waste destroys the auspicious chi.
- Make sure the living room, dining room and kitchen areas are all on the same level.
- Don't leave brooms and mops out. Keep these stored in closets.
- Don't let dirty dishes pile up.
- Shape of kitchen layout should be a rectangle. Avoid a round-shaped kitchen.
- If a laundry area is located in or beside the kitchen, don't allow dirty clothes to pile up.
- Don't hang a towel through the oven handle.
Planning Is Necessary
An incorrectly arranged feng shui kitchen can be a challenge since your appliances are permanently installed and it's expensive to move an appliance. Planning feng shui kitchens helps you avoid making mistakes that create inauspicious elements.