Eight Mansions in Feng Shui is often referred to as Eight Houses in Feng Shui. It is a commonly used method of determining if you and your home or office are compatible.
Eight Mansions in Feng Shui Formula
The formula used to determine whether you and your location are compatible uses three main components:
- Year of birth
- Location of the doorway, or the direction you are facing. For example, if you were sitting at your desk, what direction you face helps determine if this is a good location for your desk.
First, you need to calculate your KUA number (this is also sometimes referred to as a Life Gua number), or you can refer to a 100 Year Chinese Lunar Calendar. The calendar will provide the results for both men and women.Men
- If you were born during the first two months of the year, consult a Chinese calendar converter for the appropriate year to use. (Those born during January and February may need to use the previous year to calculate their KUA number.)
- Add the last two digits of the year together. In this case, 7 + 6 = 13.
- If the results has two digits, add them together to get a single digit (1 + 3 = 4).
- Subtract the results from ten (10 - 4 = 6). This is your KUA number.
- If you were born during the first two months of the year, consult a Chinese calendar converter for the appropriate year to use.
- Add the last two digits of the year together. In this case, 8 + 8 = 16.
- If the results has two digits, add them together to get a single digit (1 + 6 = 7).
- Add five to the results (5 + 7 = 12). If this number has two digits, add them together to create a single digit (1 + 2 = 3). This is your KUA number.
Eight Mansions in Feng Shui is good for determining everything from whether your new apartment is a good fit for you to deciding which direction to face your bed for the best night's sleep. Look at what direction the doorway faces, or in the case of a piece of furniture, such as a bed or desk, what direction it faces.
Use the above chart to determine whether energy from the direction in question is favorable. Sheng Chi (breath of life) - This direction attracts prosperity, vitality, respectability, and reputation. It is commonly considered a good location for a front door, office, or desk.
Fu Wei (harmony, peace, and stability) - This direction is filled with peace and harmony. It is a good place for mediation, yoga, or resting.
Tien Yi (heavenly doctor) - The energy from this direction promotes health and well-being. Consider locating your stove in this location, or if you have health problems, this might be a good location for your bed.
Nien Yen (longevity and relationships) - This direction promotes long, healthy relationships with family and friends. Consider this direction for family rooms, bedrooms, and reception areas.
Ho Hai (obstacles and mishaps) - This is the least harmful of the unlucky directions. It leads to minor difficulties and frustrations. If you are under the influence of energies from this direction, you may tire easily and feel insecure. That said, if your partner has a KUA that is opposite from yours, this direction may be a good compromise for sleeping or sharing space.
Wu Gui (five ghosts) - Energy from this direction leads to fires, loss of income, theft, quarrels, and misunderstandings and should be avoided. (Note: Wu Gui is also commonly referred to as Wu Kwei.)
Liu Sha (six killings) - This direction represents missed opportunities, deceit, legal problems, and illness. People under the influence of Liu Sha are apt to suffer from insomnia, the inability to concentrate, and lethargy tendencies.
Chueh Ming (disaster) - This is the worst possible direction for you. These energies lead to harm and danger. In a business environment, it can lead to poor finances and poor productivity. People under the influence of this energy may suffer from depression and suicidal feelings.
Eight Mansions Value
When planning your next move, whether it is to a new home or office or simply redecorating your home, look to the Eight Mansions formula as a good beginning step. Doing so may ensure the right energies flow through the location to promote your health and well-being.